Judging will take place in two stages – a first round to select finalists followed by a final round to determine winners.
First Round Judging
The first round of judging will be completed by a nominated panel who will inspect all online submissions. Finalists will be chosen and may be asked to post their garments to Sydney (Australia) for final judging. Please note that all postage costs will be incurred by the entrant and Tessuti Fabrics takes no responsibility for garments lost or damaged in transit.
The core-judging panel is an independent jury of fashion design experts who will be responsible for the judging and final decision-making of all entries that are sent in.
The judges will use the following criteria to assess the garments:
Spots and Stripes
Our 2012 brief follows the current spring/summer trend that is Spots and Stripes. Get fun and flirty with polka dots and classic stripes and create a dress that is delicate or bold, perky or prim.
The judges will award points for the following criteria:
Theme (Spots and Stripes)
- Application of the theme.
- Meets 100% Tessuti fabric requirements (lining may be excluded).
- Fulfills requirements of spots, stripes or a combination of both
- Silhouette and Proportion.
- Design Detailing.
- Balance/Design resolution
- Innovative Elements
- Understanding of trends.
- Application to fashion market.
Make and Finish of garment
- Quality of work and attention to detail.
- Construction appropriate to design and fabric.
- Your dress must be made up in Tessuti Fabrics.
- The dress must be suitable for a day wear event e.g. an outdoor wedding or a day at the races (no hats please).
- The dress must incorporate spots, stripes or a combination of both.
- The dress must be one piece only (i.e. not a top and skirt combination).
- The dress outer fabric must be made entirely of fabrics purchased at Tessuti.
- It is not a requirement that any lining fabric be purchased at Tessuti.
- If incorporating a solid contrast colour, this must comprise no more than 20% of your final garment.
- You cannot create your own spot or stripe using screen printing, laser cutting, appliqué or other printing or design methods. This includes sewing strips together to make your own stripes.
- For uniformity and in order to make it equal for all participants, your dress must be made up in standard Australian size 10. See here for measurements http://tessuti.blogspot.com/2008/09/australian-size-10-measurements.html.
- The chosen finalists may be asked to post their garments to Sydney (at their own cost and risk) for judging.
- Your dress and design must be suitable for day wear. You may use commercial dress patterns or your own design and you will need to indicate this on your profile page.
- You must keep a record of the names of fabrics used, composition etc. as these will be required in your online profile entry.
- You must retain your receipt for proof of purchase.
- The item must be sewn by hand or machine. You cannot enter purchased garments which have been embellished.
- Competition is open to all Tessuti customers
Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions apply to enter the Tessuti Awards.
- It is a condition of entry that the garments have not entered any previous awards, Tessuti Awards reserves the right to withdraw at any time or refuse to accept the entry of such garments.
- The garment being submitted is "on loan" by or to Tessuti Awards.
- It is a condition of entry that the garment, images and associated materials be permitted for promoting the Tessuti Awards and the images could be supplied to the media for promotion.
- It is a condition of entry that the winning garments need to be available for promotional photography/displays for up to 6 months. The winning entrants give permission for Tessuti to use images of themselves and the winning garments on the Tessuti website and other promotional opportunities if required.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- It is a condition of entry that all prizes are non-transferrable and non-redeemable for cash.
- You may enter as many garments as you wish in this years competition, but each garment must be registered separately.
As the Tessuti Awards are an online competition, good photography will benefit your entry. You will be able to submit up to 10 photos for each entry.
Please ensure you include:
- at least one photo of the dress in the design/development stage
- at least one photo of the close up details of the dress
- at least one photo of the stitching/construction inside the dress.
- only portrait photos (not landscape) as this will show the dress best.
Try to ...
- crop the photos to 500 pixels wide, 750 pixels high.
- submit photos that show off your creation, at least one front, side and rear photo.
- have some photos on a model.
- have a photo or two of the dress under construction.
- have a photo or two of close ups of the dress, to show features and the quality of the construction.
- take the photos in natural light
Questions & Answers
Q: Who can enter this years Tessuti Awards?
A: Anyone in the world is welcome to enter!
Q: Can I enter more than one dress?
A: Yes, you can enter as many times as you like.
Q: If I win the 1st prize trip away, when will I have to take the trip?
A: The dates for the winning trip for two (your choice of destination) will need to be decided and booked with our sponsor Skidoo within 6 months from when we announce the winner.
Spots & Stripes Q&A
Q: Can I use a plain fabric in my dress, combined with spots or stripes?
A: Yes you can, however it can be no more than 20% of your total garment.
Q: Can I create my own spot or stripe design with laser-cutting, fabric appliqué or screen printing?
A: No, only Tessuti Fabrics with spots/stripes can be used in your design
Q: Does my dress have to be made up in an Australian size 10?
A: Yes. If you become a finalist and are required to send in your dress, it will need to fit a size 10 model for our photoshoot/video.
Q: Can I submit a child's dress?
A: No, only womenswear will be considered for entry.
Q: Can I enter a jacket, skirt or pant design made up in this years theme?
A: No, only dresses are eligible for entry.
Q: What style of dress can I enter?
A: You can enter a dress suitable to be worn at a daytime wedding, the races (no hats please) or a dressy picnic party.
Q: Regarding Spots & Stripes - do we have to use one or both?
A: You can create a spotted dress, a striped dress or a dress using a combination of both designs.
Q: Can I use a plain for the lining of my dress?
A: Yes, a plain lining is perfectly fine.
Q: Does the lining need to be purchased from Tessuti Fabrics?
Q: Can the dress be in any colour?
A: Yes, as long as the dress is made up in fabrics from Tessuti Fabrics and includes spots, stripes or a combination of both.
Q: Can I use an animal spot or stripe?
A: No animal spots or stripes please!